Tuesday, November 22, 2011

And I'm Ready for Some Shots.

And no, I don't mean the alcohol type...

Today was the first day of my seriously needed Thanksgiving break! I came home around 6:00 on Monday night, absolutely exhausted from only getting two hours of sleep, and having an intense swim practice that morning... suffice it to say, I fell asleep around 8:30.

But I woke up refreshed, and ready to spend some quality time with my dad, who had taken the day off. We ended up golfing at Twin Hills Country Club, where he spends a lot of his free time. Unfortunately, I hadn't packed my "golfing wardrobe" and ended up wearing my dad's clothes... jacket, pants, shocks, shirt, and shoes included. A few mulligans later, we found ourselves laughing up the fairway. We played seven holes (didn't exactly have time to play nine) and had lunch together. I had a great time, as you can see from the picture below. Note, the ball is still on the tee...


Well, as you may be curious, the real reason for the unfortunate LMFAO reference in this post's title came after golfing. At three today, I had an appointment at Baystate Medical Center's travel clinic, to talk about my health and safety abroad, and to get my vaccinations! After discussing the malaria pills I'm going to be taking while in Tanzania, I was given a couple immunizations... four to be exact. I am now vaccinated against: Yellow Fever, Polio, Hepatitis A, and Typhoid Fever. Yes, the Typhoid Mary joke was made. As I'm an old hat when it comes to shots, these weren't too bad, other than leaving a nasty bruise. They did however make my trip far more of a reality.

After being poked and prodded, I was given a nifty little sheet that details what I should and shouldn't eat when I'm abroad. I can't really eat anything that hasn't been cooked, and certainly can't drink any water that isn't bottled. Understandably, to those who know me well, it was specifically stressed that at no moment am I allowed to sing in the shower. But for those of you who don't know me, this restriction was stressed because I am the loudest and most consistent shower singer you will ever meet. It is almost certain that this specific constraint is going to be difficult for me.

Well, tomorrow, is my Dad's birthday, so I'm off to bed since I have to wake up early. We have this tradition in the Hauser household where the birthday person wakes up to breakfast in bed, and of course, the dulcet tones of the Happy Birthday song...

Until next time,
Emma



No comments:

Post a Comment